Dr. Stephen Lartey Tekpetey
Position: Research Scientist
Office Tel : +233-3220-60123/60373
2004 -2009 PhD Natural Resource Management (Wood Science and Technology), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana
2003 - BSc. Natural Resource Management (Wood Science and Technology), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana
Professional Field of Interest
Sustainable utilization of bio materials (non-forest products, wood etc), panel products manufacturing, technical properties of plantation grown species, wood processing and quality assessment, bamboo utilization, climate change and adaptation, impact of wood use and trade, wood residue utilization and charcoal production.
- Tekpetey, S.L. (2011).Bamboo Resources in Ghana: Diversity, Properties, Products and Opportunities. ( ITTO sponsored publication).ISBN: 978-9988-1-6269-6 pp 100
- Tekpetey S.L., N. A. Darkwa and K. Frimpong-Mensah (2008). Bambusa vulgaris in Ghana: Chemical composition and phytochemical properties for enhanced utilization. Journal of Bamboo and Rattan (Vol. 7 3&4) pp 243-249.
- Tekpetey , S.L., K. Frimpong-Mensah and N. A. Darkwa (2007). Thermogravimetric behaviour and physical properties of Bambusa vulgaris in Ghana. Journal of Bamboo and Rattan (JBR Vol 6 No 3&4) pp199-203.
- Tekpetey, S.L. and G. Quartey (2008). Charcoal in Ghanaian Households: Impact on Environment, Pocket and Health. Journal of Agricultural Research and policies, Duncan publishers Vol. 3 (1): 43-45
- Appiah-Kubi, E., M. Adom-Asamoah, K. Frimpong-Mensah and S.L. Tekpetey (2011). Capacity of Sawmills and Carpentry Workshops for Processing Lesser Used Species in Ghana. Ghana Journal of Forestry vol. 27(3) pp 63-70.
Edited Conference Papers
- Tekpetey, S.L., K. Frimpong-Mensah and Monica Idinoba(2011).Towards sustainable forest management in Ghana: Understanding the climatic risk and adaptation maze. In: Geldenhuys, C.J. et al (eds.) Sustainable forest Management in Africa Symposium: African solution to African Problems. Stellenbosch South Africa, 3rd to 7th November, 2008. Pp 493-499
- Tekpetey, S.L., Ofosu, M. and Appiah-Kubi, E. (2011). Quality Control and Grading of Sawn Timber from Mills in Southern Ghana: Constraints and Opportunities. Paper Presented at the International Wood Machining Seminar (IWMS-20), June 7-10, 2011 Skelleftea, Sweden.
- Tekpetey, S.L. and Appiah-Kubi,E. (2011). Development of sustainable bamboo Industries in Ghana: The factors that will interplay. Paper Presented at the International Wood Machining Seminar (IWMS-20), June 7-10, 2011 Skelleftea, Sweden.
- Appiah-Kubi, E., Frimpong-Mensah, K., Adom-Asamoah, M. and Tekpetey, S.L. (2011) Wood Processing Capacity of sawmills and Carpentry Workshops in Ghana. Paper Presented at the IWMS-20 Seminar, June 7-10, 2011 Skelleftea Sweden.
- Appiah-Kubi, E. and Tekpetey, S.L.(2011). Exploring Barriers to the Trade and Use of Lumber from Sawmills in Ghana. Paper accepted for Oral presentation at the 65th Forest Product Society International Convention / SWST Annual Convention, 19-22nd June 2011, Doubletree Hotel, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- Tekpetey, S.L. and Appiah-Kubi ,E. (2011). Assessing the Barriers to the Trade and Marketing of Bamboo products in Ghana. Paper accepted for Oral presentation at the 65th Forest Product Society International Convention / SWST Annual Convention, 19-22nd June 2011, Doubletree Hotel, Portland, Oregon, USA
- Tekpetey, S.L., K. Frimpong- Mensah and Akwasi Acheampong (2010) Bamboo in Green Construction in Ghana: the Studies of selected Anatomical Properties. Paper accepted for presentation 53rd Annual convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology. 11-15th October, 2010.
- Tekpetey, S. L., K. Frimpong-Mensah (2010) Development of Bamboo Industry in Ghana: A viable Option toward Green Construction. Paper accepted for presentation 53rd Annual convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology.11-15th October, 2010.
- Tekpetey, S.L., K. Frimpong-Mensah and N.A. Darkwa (2009).The anatomical and Chemical properties of Bambusa vulgaris from three sites in Ghana. Proceeding of the World Bamboo Congress (2009) 15-18 September 2009. Bangkok, Thailand.
- Tekpetey, S.L., K. Frimpong-Mensah and N.A Darkwa (2009).Ultra microstructure and drying characteristics of native bamboo species for enhanced industrial processing in Ghana. Book of abstracts .26th Biennial Conference, Ghana Science Association, 4th -9th August, 2009. University of Cape Coast. Ghana pp 33
- Tekpetey, S.L., Nana Frimpong & N. A. Darkwa(2008) Development of Bamboo Utilization Tool (BuT) in Ghana: A needed strategy for sustainable utilization of Sympodial bamboo. Proceedings of the International Conference on Improvement of Bamboo productivity and Marketing for Sustainable Livelihood 15-17th April, 2008,New Delhi,India.
- Tekpetey, S.L. and G.Quartey (2008). Sustainable Production and Utilization of Woodfuel in Ghana: Issues and Needed Responses. In( Tekpetey S.L; E., Adinyira, B. Gyampoh; Aidoo R (Eds). Book of abstracts. 1st Postgraduate Research Conference Graduate Students Association of Ghana(GRASAG-KNUST) 11th March,2008 pp 34-35
- Tekpetey, S.L. and K- Frimpong-Mensah (2009).The Potential of Bamboo resources for Agroforestry practices in Ghana in Climatic threatened Environment: A theoretical and empirical view. World Agroforestry congress, 23-27 August 2009.Nairobi, Kenya
- Tekpetey, S.L, and G. Quartey (2009). Bamboo resources in agroforestry systems in Ghana: A balance between technological advancement and environmental sustainability. 26th Biennial Conference, Ghana Science Association, 4th -9th August, 2009, University of Cape Coast, Cape coast. pp 39
- Tekpetey, S.L. (2009) Adapting effectively to climate change in Ghana: Promoting the efficient processing and use of Tree and Non Tree Forest Products in Southern Ghana. Argentina World Forestry Congress, 2009.
- Tekpetey, S.L., K. Frimpong-Mensah and M. Idinoba (2009) Vulnerability of production and utilization of Bioenergy to climate change impact in Ghana. Proceedings of Sustainable Energy and environmental protection, Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland August 12-15 September 2009.
- Tekpetey, S.L., K.Frimpong -Mensah and Monica Idinoba (2008). Toward Domestic Energy Security in Ghana in the wake of Climatic threat: Some viable Coping Strategies in Rural Ghana. Tropical Forest and climate Change Adaptation (TroFCCA) Regional Meeting, Accra, Ghana. 18th-20th Nov.2008
- Tekpetey, S.L., K. Frimpong-Mensah and M. Idinoba (2010).Towards domestic energy security in Ghana in wake of climatic threats: some challenges and Opportunities. Energy,Climate and Development. Afro- Asia Young Scientists Conclave 11-13 February, 2010,JNCAR Bangalore, India.
- Tekpetey, S.L. (2006). Addressing the underutilization of Bamboo resources in Ghana through property search and enhanced processing. Technical Report submitted to Key Open Cooperative Research Scholarship Programme. Nov, 2006, International Centre for Bamboo and Rattan, ICBR, Beijing, China.www.icbr.ac.cn/eng.
- Tekpetey, S.L. (2009). The Development of a Bamboo Utilization Tool -ITTO Tropical Forest Update. ITTO fellowship 18/4 pp 20-21.www.itto.int/tfu/en
- Member, Society of Wood Science and Technology, USA
- Affiliate Member, International Network of Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR), Beijing, China.
- TWAS/Biovision Alexandria. Nxt 2012
- FAO/AJW Sponsorship 2011
- IUFRO-SPDC Award 2011
- ITTO Fellowship Award(010/10A) 2010
- Ghana Innovative Marketplace Finalists 2011
- International Foundation for Science Award (IFS ) 2008
- First Key Open Cooperative Research Scholarship, International
- Centre for Bamboo and Rattan (ICBR), Beijing, China, 2006
- International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO) Fellowship 2005
Maderas : Ciencia Y. technologia online version ISSN 0718-22IX